Mobile Banking FAQ
- What is Mobile Banking?
Mobile Banking gives you safe and convenient access to your accounts from your mobile device. You may use your device’s Text Messaging function, mobile web browser, or a downloadable Mobile Banking application, depending on your preference and your device’s capabilities. All options allow you to view deposit account balances, display deposit transaction history, access Bill Pay and transfer funds between 1st National Bank of Scotia checking accounts, money market accounts, and savings accounts.
- Is there a fee for Mobile Banking?
Mobile Banking is a free service for all 1st National Bank of Scotia customers who have Online Banking. You should contact your mobile service provider prior to enrollment to discuss available data package options and fees incurred through your wireless carrier associated with Text Messaging and Internet usage. Message and data rates may apply.
- Is Mobile Banking secure?
Yes, the Mobile Banking service utilizes best practices from Online Banking such as HTTPS, 128-bit SSL encryption, PIN, or password access, and application time-out when your device is not in use. Only the device(s) that you personally enroll in the Service can access your accounts. In addition, no account data is ever stored on your device. And, in the event your device is lost or stolen, the Service can be immediately disabled by either going online to the Mobile Banking enrollment site or calling us.
- I’m not enrolled in Online Banking. Can I still use Mobile Banking?
No, you must first enable your bank account(s) for Online Banking before using the Mobile Banking Service.
- What is Activation?
Activation is a one-time process that helps ensure your security. After you enroll a mobile device, you will receive an activation code which will be required to begin using Text or Mobile Banking on your device. Activation codes are not used for Mobile Web Banking and/or the downloadable application. You will perform the “on device enrollment” steps to activate mobile web banking and/or the downloadable application. We recommend you print your activation code and installation instructions for easy reference during installation.
- What is Mobile Bill Pay?
Mobile Bill Pay is a service offered to any 1st National Bank of Scotia Mobile Banking customer who has enrolled in online Bill Pay. This service will allow you to initiate bill payment transactions directly through your mobile device with a data connection. In order to utilize this service you must download the Mobile Banking application from your appropriate app store.
- What needs to be completed before using Mobile Bill Pay?
To use Mobile Bill Pay you must enroll in Bill Pay through Online Banking. Once enrolled, all Payee information will need to be set up through online Bill Pay via your personal computer. This step cannot be completed through Mobile Bill Pay.
- Can I use both Text Messaging and the mobile web for Mobile Banking on my device?
Yes, you can use both options from the same device. Text Messaging will work on any text message (SMS) capable device from one of the supported carriers. In order to utilize both options, you will need to activate each option on your device prior to use.
- How do I enroll for the test messaging function?
Login to Online Banking, select the Self Service tab, click on Account Maintenance, then Mobile Banking. Select Enroll a Mobile Device, enter your mobile phone number, select your carrier, Accept terms & conditions and choose Text Banking. Then select Continue. The Enrollment Complete screen appears with your activation code.
Your mobile device will receive a text message from 1st National Bank of Scotia’s short code. Reply to the text message with your activation code. You must use your mobile device to complete the activation process within 24 hours.
- What are the Text Messaging commands?
B – Summary of available balances for all accounts
C – List of available Text Messaging commands
HE – Help content for Text Messaging
H – Summary of recent transactions per account
L – Receive a URL for 1st National Bank of Scotia’s mobile browser website
R – Receive a URL and new activation code for the mobile browser website.
S – Deactivate all 1st National Bank of Scotia Text Messaging services
- Which wireless carriers are supported?
All the popular US wireless phone carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless, MetroPCS, and Cricket are supported. If your carrier is not listed when you enroll, select “Other” and try the Mobile Web option, or check back later as new carriers will be added over time.
- How do I access Mobile Banking on my device’s browser?
After successful activation, your device will receive a text message with the Mobile Banking URL. You can visit the site at any time at www.firstscotia.mobi. Your login credentials for Mobile Banking are identical to your Online Banking login credentials (user ID and password).
- How do I install the downloadable application?
Visit the app store on your mobile device, search for 1st National Bank of Scotia, and download the Mobile Banking application. Enrollment begins when you log into the app for the first time using your online banking user id and password. Activation automatically takes place during this enrollment process through a series of security measures designed to prevent fraudulent access to your accounts.
Once you enter your user id and password you will receive a message stating an extra layer of security is required. Select one of two options: 1. Receive the code through text message by selecting your mobile phone number listed, or 2. Answer multiple choice security questions that are drawn from your public records.
- How do I enable the touch ID log on feature on my device?
Touch ID is available on iPhone 5S and newer devices. In order to utilize the Touch ID feature, it must first be enabled within the iPhone settings.
- Log into Mobile Banking with your User ID and Password and access the Settings option in the global navigation menu.
- Select Quick Access to continue. (If this is the first time you are accessing Quick Access, green text with the word Setup will display. Otherwise, the currently enabled quick access option will be listed.)
- When the Quick Access screen appears, select the switch to the right of the Touch ID field to continue.
- A warning will be displayed informing you that all users with registered fingerprints will have access to account balances and information. Select OK to continue.
- The screen will darken indicating that it is loading while the Touch ID feature is being enabled.
- The Quick Access screen appears showing a green switch next to the Touch ID field indicating that it is enabled.
- How do I use touch ID to access my account information?
Touch ID allows quick access to your account balances and account activity features of Mobile Banking.
- Launch the 1st National Mobile Banking application on your device.
- When the Touch ID screen appears requesting you to scan your fingerprint, simply place a registered finger on your device’s home button to scan and continue.
- The Accounts screen is presented containing your account balances and transaction data. If you wish to access other features like Transfers or Bill Pay, you must enter your User ID and Password credentials via a link on the Touch ID sign in screen.
- How do I optimize my mobile web experience?
Ensure your device’s browser has cookies enabled. In addition, enable style sheets for the best viewing experience.
- What should I do if I decide I no longer want the Mobile Banking service?
If you wish to no longer have available the Text Messaging option, simply text “S” to 1st National Bank of Scotia’s short code and your device will be deactivated from the Mobile Banking Text Messaging services. If you no longer wish to use any of the available Mobile Banking methods, enter the Mobile Banking Center through Online Banking to disable or remove your device.
- Who can I contact if I need additional assistance or have additional questions?
You may visit or contact any 1st National Bank of Scotia branch where our knowledgeable staff will be pleased to assist you. You may call customer support at (518) 370-7200 between the hours of 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M., Monday through Thursday and 8:30 A.M.-6:00 P.M. on Friday.